15 Signs You Need to See a Nutritional Therapist!
Feb 01, 2018
Because sometimes, you need to call in the pros.
You crush it at the gym. You get your yearly physical and head to the derm for a skin check at least once a year, too. Heck, you even make time for monthly chiropractor appointments. Chances are there’s one important appointment you’re not slotting into your schedule: a visit to the nutritionist.
What an ophthalmologist does for your eyes, a nutritional therapist does to keep your digestive system and body running smoothly, all the while making sure you’re getting the proper nutrients and helping you tailor an eating plan that works best for you.
Whether your goal is weight loss, preparing to have a baby, or boosting your iron take. While everybody should try and get an appointment in their calendar, here are the telltale signs you should see a Nutritional Therapist on the pronto. So, drop that sushi burrito and book an appointment already!
- You Think You Have an Allergy or Intolerance– Test, don’t guess! before you begin cutting foods out of your diet, it is a good idea to run a lab test.
- You Are Irregular- This is important, pals and gals, your bowel movements should happen one to two times per day!
- Your Stomach Gets Twisty when You Have Dairy- Lactose intolerance is very dose dependent, meaning that if you have a couple tablespoons of ice cream you may be fine—but a cup can send you over the edge.
- You Have Tried Every Diet Out There…and you never see results. Or you gain it all back shortly after dropping weight. Whatever the roadblock, a nutritional therapist can help guide you through changing your lifestyle, rather than following a specific diet plan and help you understand the science behind how food fuels your body, how to achieve balance in your food choices, and provide accountability to keep you on track.
- You’ve Got Heartburn or Acid Reflux – 9 times out of 10 this is due to not having enough stomach acid, with the acid sitting in your chest cavity and not your stomach! A simple home test to check your levels of stomach acid can help determine whether it’s something more serious.
- You’ve Just Been Diagnosed with High Cholesterol- Cholesterol is not inherently bad. If it were, your liver wouldn't produce it.Understanding the 3 different numbers that make up your total cholesterol is important – namely HDL, LDL and Triglycerides. The first two are very important. Triglycerides - aka blood fat is the one you want to watch for.
- You’re Doing Everything Right and Still Can’t Shake theWeight - There is a lot more to good nutrition than meets the eye. Running a functional lab test helps pinpoint underlying issues that could be stopping you from getting into the fat burning zone.
- Or, if You Just Want to Lose Weight in General- Losing weight and losing weight in a healthy manner are two very different things, learning how to lose weight—while eating healthy and avoiding nutritional deficiencies is key to sustaining good health and even keeping the weight off.
- Life Just Got Crazy:Whether you just found out that you are pregnant, just got diagnosed with diabetes, or have decided to train for a marathon, a Nutritional Therapist can help you face the challenge head-on
- You’re Constantly Thinking About Food- if you are constantly thinking about your next meal, it’s time to schedule an appointment! When these thoughts are not fueled by hunger, but rather an ‘obsession’ with food, it could be early signs of disordered eating. Sometimes, learning a bit more about nutrition science from can lead you down a healthier road.
- You’re Prone to Stress Fractures - lack calcium, over-exercising, or something else. Are you getting the proper nutrients for calcium absorption and strong bones—like vitamin D and vitamin K?
- You Overeat or Binge when You Feel Emotional- Whether you go overboard when you’re anxious, sad, or even happy, this is a red flag if you can’t divorce the feeling with the habit.
- You’re Stretched Too Thin- full-time job, a sideline gig, three pets, kids, and a husband. Simply put, you’re exhausted.
- You Want Babies!- Trying to get pregnant? A nutritional therapist can help prepare your body to have the healthiest pregnancy possible, and ensure your baby is getting all that it needs.
- You’re iron deficient! Did you know that iron deficiency is the most common nutrient deficiency in the world? It’s also the most common among toddlers and preschool aged children. Learn how to tweak your diet and incorporate key foods and ingredients to help resolve iron deficiency and keep it from returning.
Want to know more?